The work we’ve done so far has helped us to strip back some of our assumptions about energy production and use in Northern Ireland, and now we want to go deeper into the subject, and begin to set up ongoing work that the Energy Democrats can carry on outside of these seminars.
This seminar will focus on what we have identified as four main components of the Energy Democracy idea as it is emerging:
1. How do we build up a network of solidarity around our various site battles/holding actions, so that skills and activism becomes a pooled resource for the entire movement? What can we do to make this a reality?
2. What is the ideal legal/regulatory framework for Northern Ireland that would stop individuals, communities, and the region as a whole from living under the shadow of extreme energy developers in the future? What is needed to move towards that framework?
3. What initiatives/technology/actions can be taken in our local areas (eg townlands/villages/towns/cities) to decarbonise, localise and democratise our energy production and consumption? What can we do to make this a reality?
4. How do we begin the process of developing a grand vision (for a dispersed, resilient, low-carbon energy network) for Northern Ireland – one that interacts positively and intelligently with the rest of the island, with Great Britain, and with the rest of the world?
We will be spending most of the day of 31 May exploring these four ideas in discussion groups.
Because this event is taking place in a remote location, we are providing a free return minibus from Belfast city centre – leaving at 8am sharp, from outside the John Hewitt Pub, Donegall Street (near our offices) – please book a seat!
The seminar will start at 10am and finish at 6pm (aiming to be back in Belfast by 8pm for those travelling with us by minibus).
If you wish to attend, please indicate in your RSVP by noon, Thursday 22 May 2014 to Colette.email@example.com:
1. If you would like to take a place on our minibus
2. If not, how you intend to travel, and if you are able to offer places in a car for others from your area
3. Any access/dietary needs you may have
We hope that you can join us in a beautiful location for a day of exploration and optimistic curiosity.